My college-student son shared his favorite coffee shop, Margie’s Blue Mug, with us on one of our visits. Besides coffee, Margie’s offers a variety of breakfast and lunch items. One of those is my new favorite sandwich; the only sandwich I want to eat right now: The Lexi.
I get it vegetarian/vegan, without the cream cheese and sliced turkey it usually comes with. My son says it’s spectacular with those things, so if you’re not vegan, I’m sure he’d recommend you add those in to the somewhat quirky ingredients:
For one sandwich
- 1 whole wheat bagel (or bagel of your choice)
- 1-2 TBSP prepared basil pesto (get or make pesto without Parmesan to be vegan)
- 1-2 TBSP apricot jam (I used peach today)
- sliced tomatoes (I used 4 slices from a roma tomato)
- sliced red onion (I used one thin slice, separated into rings)
- lettuce (Margie’s uses a greens mix, I had romaine)
Spread pesto on one side of the bagel, and jam on the other. YES! This is the quirky part, but what a combo! These two condiments MAKE the sandwich. They’re what make me want to make a Lexi for every meal. Even breakfast.
Put the lettuce, onion and tomato on the bottom half, top it with the lid of the bagel and there you are! The Lexi!
WARNING– this sandwich disappears in a hurry. One second you have a whole bagel sandwich, the next second you have a plate with a crumb or two on it. Yup. It’s THAT yummy.