DH and I had the yummiest Huevos Rancheros at the Palisade Cafe a few weeks ago. Layered on a corn tortilla with beans and green chili and cheese….mmmmm! I hadn’t really given them another thought until…Early this morning, I was laying in bed thinking about what to make for breakfast that all of us would enjoy. I feel like weekend breakfasts should be a bit of a step-up from weekdays. I started mentally taking inventory of the fridge and the pantry. Still had a few leftover things from burritos. Have eggs. Part of a package of corn tortillas. Grape tomatoes. Green onions. Hmmmmm…..HUEVOS!!!
Breakfast solved, I went back to sleep for a bit, until Pookie the Cat decided it was time for everybody to get up and tend to HIS needs. He likes someone to watch him eat and help him select a toy to play with. So, with the Pook happy for the time being I gathered up these ingredients:
- 2 eggs per serving
- 1 corn torilla per serving (I like the ones that are made with flour and corn flour–they have a more tender texture and are more yummy than traditional corn tortillas, in my opinion.)
- about a 1/2 cup of leftover pinto beans (I think black beans would be yummy as well as super pretty–people eat with their eyes as well as their mouths!)
- 1 scallion per serving, chopped
- 3-4 cherry or grape tomatoes per serving, quartered (Cherry or grape tomatoes are your best buy during non-summer months. They’re not as mealy as large tomatoes, and have more tomato flavor.)
- about 1/2 cup green chili sauce (Use your favorite kind!)
- about 1/2 cup grated cheese (This is white cheddar, but queso fresco or farmer’s cheese or monteray jack would be super yummy as well!)
Grate the cheese, chop the onions and tomatoes, set aside.
Warm the tortillas in a damp kitchen towel in the microwave and set aside.
Warm the beans and green chili in the microwave and set aside.
Cook the eggs however you like. We like them over easy. A little tip for flipping eggs: spray oil on your spatula–top, bottom and edge; the egg isn’t as likely to stick and tear when you flip.
Lay a tortilla on a plate, top with cooked eggs, green chili, beans, cheese, tomatoes and onions.
It’s like having your very own fiesta for breakfast! Ole! So yummy and so easy! Generally I have these ingredients in the house all the time, so huevos rancheros can always be a possibility for breakfast. Make some for yourself–you deserve a breakfast celebration!